Current events, news and upcoming activities from the judicial campaign of Bobby Carter. This is the official blogspot of the Committee to Elect Bobby Carter Judge.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

For many of us Memorial Day is the three day weekend that kicks off summer. Grilling out, baseball, auto racing and family fun take center stage. I went to a memorial service this morning that really hit the nail on the head. It reminded everyone of the service performed by so many so that we could enjoy all of these things. Indeed, most of the crowd was composed of veterans of many services and many wars. My father was among them. I felt lucky that I live where I do and how I do, because so many of these men "answered the call". The most telling moment of the day came during the playing of "Taps" by a bugler, while the American flag was raised,and then lowered to half-mast. I thought about how beautiful it was. Then a man wearing a World War II Veteran's hat, said, almost under his breath, "I hate to hear that again". I'm sure he had heard it too many times, over too many fallen friends. It made it all clear to me. We owe so much to these our veterans, but we are even more in debt to those who paid the ultimate price, so that we could enjoy our car races, our hotdogs and our freedom. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment